Experience Times Square New Year’s Eve with Free, Official iPhone App
Times Square, New York – he Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment, organizers of Times Square New Year’s Eve, along with their partners, Toshiba and Livestream, have launched the first official Times Square Ball App, specially designed for Apple and Android mobile devices. The free app is designed to put you in the middle of the legendary New Year’s Eve festivities in Times Square, no matter where you are in the world.
Among the app’s many features is the live, six-and-a-half-hour, commercial-free mobile stream of New Year’s Eve in Times Square powered by Livestream, including a performance just before midnight by multi-platinum pop sensation Taio Cruz, other live musical performances and the ability to participate in the celebration. Toshiba, the Times Square New Year’s Eve official Countdown Sponsor, is providing a unique opportunity for users of the app to see their photos on the Toshiba Vision sign directly below the Times Square Ball on New Year’s Eve. Livestream will also be providing a live mobile stream of all the events leading up to New Year’s Eve and an on-demand video library with the latest news clips. These are just a couple of ways that the app will convey the unique buzz of Times Square, before and when the Ball descends on New Year’s Eve. Apart from the big night, the app will be a year-round source of information about the non-stop excitement that makes Times Square the “Crossroads of the World.”
“We can’t wait to celebrate the New Year as we never have before,” said Jeffrey Straus, president of Countdown Entertainment. “This app offers a level of engagement that takes the magic of Times Square New Year’s to a whole new level. Whether people tune in as they celebrate in New York or connect with us from wherever they are in the world, the app will give them a dramatic and interactive way to ring in 2011.”
Tim Tompkins, president of the Times Square Alliance, continued, “The app represents a connection that is created on New Year’s Eve, no matter where people physically are. It is a moment of reflection, celebration and hope. Thanks to this app, that moment can be in the palm of your hand.” The Times Square Ball App is now available worldwide for free download through Apple’s App Store for iPhones or other Apple devices or via The App Market for Android phones and devices. The app can be found in Entertainment, Travel, and News categories.
“From last year’s introduction of the first-ever webcast, it was a natural progression to introduce a phone app so people all over the world can be a part of the Times Square experience” said Eddie Temistokle, Senior Manager, Corporate Communications & CSR, Toshiba America, Inc. “Through this innovative app, the excitement that can only be found in Times Square will be there for the enjoying, all year round.”
Here are some of the app features:
* Join millions of revelers around the world to celebrate New Year’s Eve 2011 LIVE. The Official Times Square Ball App is your exclusive access to be part of the activities in Times Square as you watch the LIVE co-hosted official show featuring A-List musical performances, celebrity appearances, first Times Square Wedding, hourly countdowns and the famous midnight Ball Drop.
* Participate in the celebration by submitting your New Year’s photo for friends, family and other revelers to vote on. The photos with the most votes will be showcased on the Toshiba Vision sign atop One Times Square directly beneath the Waterford Crystal New Year’s Eve Ball on December 31st! These top photos will also be seen on the LIVE Show when they are displayed atop One Times Square each hour.
* Discover everything you need to know about the Times Square New Year’s Eve Celebration including the history, news, weather, photos, relevant maps and LIVE Show schedule.
* Send New Year’s Eve kisses and share photos with friends and family.
* Watch live streaming of the events in Times Square leading up to New Year’s Eve throughout December as well as the highlight promo and other exclusive video content.
* Customize your Toshiba Countdown Clock with your personal photo and time zone.
* Check-in via Foursquare, Facebook and Twitter to find out how far away you are from Times Square.
And, even after the last of the New Year’s Eve confetti is swept from Times Square, the app will continue to be a year round source of Times Square news and events. Times Square Ball App produced by Monday Sessions Media, developed by HAAS/crea, and streaming components developed by Livestream LLC.
Device requirements for Apple products:
* iPhone, iPod touch, iPad
* Required iOS 3.0 or later
* 3.5 MB (size of App)
About Times Square New Year’s Eve:
The Times Square Alliance and Countdown Entertainment are the organizers of Times Square New Year’s Eve. The Times Square Alliance works to improve and promote Times Square so that it retains the energy, edge and distinctiveness that have made it an icon of entertainment, culture and urban life. Countdown Entertainment, which represents the owners of One Times Square, and the New Year’s Eve Ball, is an event marketing and management company specializing in the Times Square area.
Toshiba is a world leader and innovator in pioneering high technology, a diversified manufacturer and marketer of advanced electronic and electrical products spanning digital consumer products; electronic devices and components; power systems, including nuclear energy; industrial and social infrastructure systems; and home appliances. Toshiba was founded in 1875, and today operates a global network of more than 730 companies, with 204,000 employees worldwide and annual sales surpassing 6.2 trillion yen (US$75 billion). Visit Toshiba’s web site at toshiba.com.
Livestream is the leading live video destination and platform. Event organizers, content owners, celebrities and artists around the world use Livestream’s social broadcasting tools to engage and grow their audiences on the web, mobile devices, and connected TVs. More than one billion video minutes are streamed each month to a growing community of 20 million monthly viewers (50,000 of whom will be watching right now).
Spokespeople are available for in studio, live, tape, or telephone interviews.
Notable content partners include Facebook, The New York Times, ABC News, CBS News, Associated Press, HBO, AT&T, IBM, Burger King, Nike, The Academy Awards, The Foo Fighters, Maroon 5, Ralph Lauren, and Diesel. Livestream offers a unique commitment to protecting the rights of its producers through a ‘Zero Tolerance on Piracy’ policy. The service is available for free (advertising-supported) or as a feature-rich, monetizable, premium subscription for business.
Filed: Press Releases