QuickReader 2.2 for iOS: eBook Reader with Speed Reading Adds Instapaper
Portland, Oregon – Inkstone Software today is pleased to announce QuickReader 2.2 for iOS, an update to their eBook Reader with Speed Reading Technology. Rated first in sales of all iOS Speed Reading apps, QuickReader incorporates advanced technology, not simple skimming, to painlessly break old reading habits, improving both reading speed and comprehension. The app features extensive Settings, granting the user total control over all functions in Normal Reading, Speed Reading, and Speed Test modes. Version 2.2 features new Instapaper compatibility that allows the user to save interesting information from the web for reading later, when they may have more time.
QuickReader improves reading speed by employing the versatile reading technologies in iOS with proven teaching techniques to help foster good reading habits and break bad ones. Adults often read in the same manner they learned as children – one letter and one word at a time. As a result, much time during reading is wasted building words from phonics, phrases out of words, sentences out of phrases, and so on. Speed reading is not skimming. Rather, speed reading is a powerful technique that trains the reader’s eyes to take in multiple words at once. Instead of focusing on the component parts of the sentence, the mind begins to focus on the meaning of the sentence itself.
The app employs the digital power of the iOS device to both display the text and to help guide the user’s eyes as they read. Having set a rate of speed, e.g. 400 words per minute, QuickReader employs a moving guide that highlights one or more words as it moves through each line. The color of the guide is user selectable, and it “chunks” each line of text according to the number of guide stops chosen in Settings. Typically, the app will make three guide stops per line on an iPhone, and move along at a rate fast enough to ensure reading at the selected speed of 400 words per minute.
This method improves reading speed and comprehension in three ways. First, it helps the user expand the number of words they can read in a single “fixation”, or guide stop, by relaxing focus and expanding field of vision. Second, it trains the reader to recognize and comprehend groups of words more quickly. And third, it habituates the user to move through the text more quickly without being distracted or backtracking. QuickReader easily accommodates iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad, in both portrait and landscape orientations. And the user has complete control over font, font size, font color, background color, margin width, line spacing, right justification, and more.
* Access millions of books and improve productivity using QuickReader
* Share web articles from Instapaper and read in QuickReader
* Access over 1.8 million downloadable EPUB books from six catalogs, including Feedbooks, Project Gutenberg, Baen, Smashwords, Munseys, and Internet Archive
* Add favorite eBooks downloaded from Calibre or any standard OPDS catalog.
* Import articles, web pages, email and more with the QuickReader Pasteboards
* Customize colors, fonts, text size, margins and more for the perfect reading experience
* No more constant scrolling or page turning needed with the Guided Reading Technology
* Save time by reading faster – learn to adjust speed as needed
* Enhance reading focus and learn to tune out distractions with proven techniques
* Incrementally improve reading speed with the best-selling Speed Reading Technology
* Track reading improvement with QuickReaders’ Speed Tests
* Practice Speed Reading anytime, anywhere
* Beautiful, customizable user interface to enhance reading pleasure
In addition to the app’s speed reading and speed testing functionality, it is also a full-featured eBook reader. There are 53 full-length books included with the download and easy access to more than 1.8 million more. The latest version also incorporates Instapaper compatibility. Instapaper is an iOS app, which allows the user to instantly save web pages for later, off-line reading. Most web pages are saved as text-only, and are optimized for display on an iPhone or iPad. Acclaimed as the ideal solution for reading longer web articles at the user’s convenience, readers can now move effortlessly between Instapaper and QuickReader.
“In just a few minutes each day, with reading material of your choice, you can learn Speed Reading with QuickReader,” commented company Founder Patrick Thompson. “Imagine how your life might change if you could read everything at twice the speed.”
* US English, Spanish, French, German, Dutch, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese
* iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch
* iOS 3.0 or later (iOS 4 optimized)
* 18.4 MB
Pricing and Availability:
QuickReader 2.2 is $5.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Books category. Also available is a free Lite version. Review copies are available upon request.
Based in Portland, Oregon, the Inkstone Software team is an independent software development company found by Patrick Thompson. With their strong blend of design and development skills, Inkstone’s passion is to craft elegant, easy-to-use applications for iOS devices. Copyright (C) 2010 Inkstone Software, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks may be the property of their respective owners.
Filed: Press Releases