Doctor Who iPhone app WhoNews donates profits to charity for a month
Kent, United Kingdom – Paul Gee today announced that from Tueday November 23 to Thursday December 23 all profits from the Doctor Who iPhone news app WhoNews with be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, an organisation which grants wishes to children and young people with life threatening conditions. WhoNews is an iPhone/iPad app which collates the latest news on Doctor Who, Torchwood and the Sarah Jane Adventures from over 30 of the top Doctor Who websites every 15 minutes, 24 hours a day.
Paul Gee said “Recently the cousin of my step-children was diagnosed with Leukaemia. Andrew Brown is only 12 years old and recently underwent chemotherapy for the condition which thankfully seems to be in remission but Andrew still has a lot of treatment ahead of him. He was kindly granted a wish from the Make-A-Wish Foundation which grants wishes to children and young people fighting life threatening illnesses.
I am donating 100% of the profits from the sale of WhoNews for a month from the 23rd November to 23rd December which marks the 47th anniversary of Doctor Who. The profits will be donated to the Make-A-Wish Foundation to help other children like Andrew.
Since starting his treatment just over a month ago, Andrew is no longer the boy he was back in September, when we spent a week in Majorca and he spent almost every day swimming back and forth in the hotel pool.
His weight has dropped significantly. His legs ache after the simplest of exercise (like walking upstairs), he has had all his hair shaved off (before it all fell out), and he hasn’t been to school since the beginning of October. He can no longer have a bath, and has be be assisted in the shower. His legs and arms are very thin (because he has lost a lot of muscle mass), although he now has a pot-belly through eating too much (one of the side-effects of his treatment – greatly increased appetite). He rarely makes it through a day without going back to bed for a sleep, and even little trips out to supermarkets tire him out. To cap it all, he has also developed steroid-induced diabetes.
But through all this he has rarely complained, and has managed to keep his wry sense of humour and cheerful grin. He is fully aware that this will be his life for the next two to three years, and although he has the occasional bad day when he wonders whether he is going to die or not, he is generally optimistic and quite frankly appears to be taking it better than his mum and dad.”
The WhoNews website has a page dedicated to the Wish appeal which can be accessed from the main page at http://www.who-news.com
Just by purchasing WhoNews from the App Store either via iTunes or on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch users will make a donation of 1.45 in the UK or $2.80 in the US to the Make-A-Wish Foundation.
WhoNews keeps the fans up to speed with latest news on the Doctor’s adventures in time and space. With WhoNews the user is guaranteed to know the latest news and gossip on the world’s oldest science fiction TV series.
Features for version 1.8:
* One universal app for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch buy once and use on all your devices.
* Most recent news view – time ordered news from 30 websites.
* Off-line browsing – read the latest news at your leisure.
* News is downloaded in bulk. A resilient server compiles the latest news from 30 websites every 15 minutes ready to be downloaded by direct to WhoNews
* Bookmark your favourite news for rapid access.
* Email and post articles or DVDs on Facebook, Twitter, Google Reader, Delicious, Tumbler, Pinboard, Read It Later
* Search the internet for lowest Doctor Who, Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures DVD/Blu ray prices in the UK and the US from all your favourite internet stores
* Email or post on Facebook the cheapest deal to friend and fellow fans
* Over 20 retailers compared including Amazon, Tesco, Zavvi, The Hut, SendIt, LoveFilm, Asda, Woolworths, HMV, Play, Dixons, Currys, BBC Shop, CD Wow, DVD Source, MovieMail, Amazon US, Betam Online, Deep Discount, DVD Magnet, CD Universe, Music Import, DVD Empire and Yes Asia
* Use the in-built browser to visit a news site or buy a DVD direct
* iPhone, iPod touch or iPad
* Requires iPhone OS 3.0 or later
* 1.4 MB
Pricing and Availability:
WhoNews 1.8 is only $3.99 (USD) or 2.39(GBP) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the News categories.
Located in Cowden, Kent, Paul Gee has over 20 years experience developing software for a range of mobile platforms and is a full-time software engineer. After winning the HotUKDeals 2009 iPhone programming competition he embarked on combining his love of Doctor Who with his talent for software development. Before turning his skills on developing applications for the iPhone and iPod touch he spent over 12 years working for a top research and development defence company, designing and build cutting edge wearable computing solutions for the armed forces. Copyright (C) 2010 Paul Gee. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone and iPod are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries.
Filed: Press Releases