Textastic 1.1 for iPad – Plain Text Editor Features Syntax Highlighting
Possibly the greatest timesaving innovation in text editing of source code, syntax highlighting is a form of secondary notation. The special fonts and colors have no affect on the code itself, but improve readability significantly, enabling the programmer to much more easily scan, revise, and debug. From the Settings menu the user can choose from four fonts, two serif and two sans serif. Also, font size is continuously adjustable (6 point to 30 point), and text may be displayed in portrait or landscape mode. Tab width and column wrap width are user definable, and there is an optional fourth row of keys on the virtual, on-screen keyboard (parentheses, curly brackets, angle brackets, brackets, and slashes). Also supported is SmileOnMyMac’s TextExpander, which allows the user to type short abbreviations that are automatically expanded into any text desired.
* Full on-screen virtual keyboard, keyboard dock and bluetooth keyboard support
* Displays additional row of keys over the on-screen virtual keyboard, making it easy to type characters often used for programming
* Supports most encodings, including UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, and MacRoman
* Supports different tab widths
* User-selectable fonts and font sizes
* Copy & Paste
* Undo & Redo
* Incremental search
* File information, such as character count and word count
* Send files by email
* Local web preview for HTML files
* Supports TextExpander touch snippet expansion
* Import/Export over USB via iTunes File Sharing
* Import/Export files from other apps using “Open In” iPad command
* Import/Export via Wi-Fi using the built-in WebDAV server
* In-app, 30 page, fully illustrated instruction manual
In addition to its versatility, Textastic 1.1 is 100% Objective-C based, and provides outstanding performance running on the iPad’s 1GHz A4 processor. Particularly evident during interactive search, the text editor is quick and responsive. The app also features several integrated connectivity options, including a built-in WebDAV server (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning), Mac or PC networking, iTunes file sharing, email, and opening files from other applications, such as GoodReader.
“There is no more convenient or user-friendly device for storing or reading text than iPad,” stated developer Alexander Blach. “Because you can browse or edit text anytime, anywhere, the iPad makes an ideal text editor. Now, Textastic allows programmers and developers to share in the joy of iPad.”
* US English and German
* iPad Compatible
* iOS 3.2 or later (iOS 4 tested)
* 1.6 MB
Pricing and Availability:
Textastic 1.1 for iPad is $4.99 (USD) and available worldwide exclusively through the App Store in the Productivity category. Review copies are available upon request.
Based in Bad Kissingen, Germany, Alexander Blach is an independent software developer for iPod, iPhone, iPad, and Android devices. In addition to Textastic, he also developed the popular iPad app “The Photo Cookbook” that was featured in Apple’s TV commercial “iPad is Delicious”, and the very popular German cooking app, “Rezepte”. Copyright (C) 2010 Alexander Blach. All Rights Reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPod, and iPad are registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Filed: Press Releases