Pocket God Tips and Tricks: The Ultimate iPhone App?
A lot of people question whether or not Pocket God is to-date, the ultimate gaming application for the Apple iPhone. Released in January of 2009, Pocket God quickly shot up through the charts to the number 1 spot in the app store where it remained for several weeks. Bolt Creative (the company behind the madness), developed a game where you play the role of god and have the option to either kill the islanders or let them survive. The company have released weekly updates since, with new “features” (basically new ways to kill the islanders) and each week there is a theme. Pocket God is currently $0.99 through the app store but will soon raise its price to $1.99. Is this game worth all the hype? Keep reading to find out.
Simply put, Pocket God is awesome and here’s why: the developers keep developing on a weekly basis. There’s nothing more cooler in the world than finding a new way to kill off a character each week. Another cool factor that goes into the development of new features is user feedback and requests. Bolt Creative have been listening to fans and are including the most requested features in their game.
Aside from being able to kill the islanders in many different ways from flicking them into a volcano, attacking them with ants, burning them under a magnifying glass, electrocute them with lightning, possession by a bat turning them into Dracula, feeding them to a shark, and much more, you also have the option to let them live by feeding them coconuts or fish (they cannot starve to death as of yet).
The game incorporates the iPhone’s accelerometer and allows you to control gravity. If you shake the iPhone you can generate an earthquake or if you turn the phone upside down quickly, they will fall endlessly into the sky. The same physics apply if you slant the iPhone side to side and cause the islanders to slide off the island into the ocean. You also have the choice to control the weather, creating hurricanes, lightning strikes, or volcanic eruptions.
Pocket God’s graphics are very smooth and there is zero lag in game play. The sound track is simple and creative and does not become an annoyance. You have the option to control the volume via the iPhone’s volume button as well as the silence all option. Bolt Creative have also integrated Feint chat, a leaderboard scale, the ability to name your islanders, and more. Overall, the performance of Pocket God is at a premium level.
1. Precision is key for the volcano. In order to make the volcano erupt you must knock the islanders into it first. This can be tricky at times. In order to do so, make sure the islander is towards the middle of the screen and drag your finger from below, aiming for the volcano. Do this three times and the volcano will erupt all over your island, burning the islanders.
2. Lightning Storms can be fun. In order to generate a lightning strike you must first change the weather to storm clouds. (Do this by selecting the up arrow and the clouds icon or by sliding your finger across the sky). Then drag your finger from the sky to an islander and watch them roast.
3. Hurricanes need wind. To create a hurricane on the island, drag your finger in a circular motion side to side and watch the islanders fly in the air.
4. Falling objects from the sky can hurt. Group up your islanders together and drop a coconut on their head, watching it bounce around leaving them in confusion. Another evil trick is dropping a meteor on top of one of the islanders, leaving them stuck and helpless.
5. The count is back. In order to spawn the vampire bat, you must first bring up the moon. Then drag your finger downwards from the top of the moon, and watch him possess the islanders.
6. Jaws returns too. The shark can jump out of the water when you dangle an islander with your finger above him. You can also pick up the shark out of the water and drop him on an islander, knocking him in the water. The shark can pull an islander in while he’s fishing too. Just cast your line with the fishing pole and wait for the shark to pass by.
7. Red ants attack. In order to have the ants attack an islander, poke the anthill several times and drag your finger from the anthill to an islander.
8. Burn them alive. To burn the ants or islanders, just take the magnifying glass (change it out with the meteor in the menu) and hold it above them in direct sun light. The islanders will begin to sweat then ignite and burn.
I recommend Pocket God to everyone of all ages. The cartoon appearance provides pure entertainment for little children (I’ve watched a 3 year old play for hours) and allows for endless killing enjoyment. Another plus is the constant development by Bolt Creative and release of new updates each week. Currently the game costs $0.99 but Bolt will be raising the prices soon to $1.99. Now you can decide whether to be a friend or a foe?
Please post your comments, tips, and your own reviews below in the comments area!
Filed: Entertainment • Featured • Games • iPhone • Updates